A consultation of Danish associations in Broager was urged in 1929 to erect a reunification memorial in Broager.
The necessary funds were quickly collected so that the stones selected for the purpose could be transported from Skelde Beach to the city park.
Here, the memorial was erected under the leadership of Edsen Johansen, Jelling, and it could be unveiled on June 11, 1930. There was a public competition about what should be written on the stone. It was won by the Alsatian poet Martin N. Hansen.
Base north side: Erected 1930
Base south side: With serious desire we own today our future now stands in the sign of happiness know this, every wanderer on these paths and late generations in this region and it hums cheerfully about bay and meadow there was victory from sighs and song
Southern bearing stone: February 10 – June 15 1920
On the north side of the crossbeam: Here I came from Skelle Beach to testify about our homecoming as part of Denmark’s land
Broager Rectory
Broager rectory, Vestergade 36 has only been a rectory since 1988.
The building was built in 1863/64, when there was a desire to build a new school in Broager. Before it could be used in 1864, it was occupied by Austrian and Prussian troops. Broager was a staging area before the storming of Dybbøl Banke. The new school was then designated as the infirmary – conveniently located right next to the church and cemetery.
In the period leading up to the storming of Dybbøl Banke on April 18, the infirmary was in great use for the many wounded from skirmishes and bombardments in connection with the siege.
On April 18, 1864, the storming of Dybbøl Banke occurred. This naturally created a lot of bustle at the infirmary. Many of the survivors were moved to other infirmaries in the area after diagnosis. In Broager town alone, there were infirmaries at four different addresses. Even the church was used. It is said that amputations took place in the bell tower.
After the 1864 war, the building was used as a school until 1912, when all education in Broager town was concentrated in Broager School, Vestergade 19.
After this, the house was sold to merchant Johannes Ohrt, who had it converted into a private residence with two apartments.
After changing owners, the congregation in Broager bought the house in 1988 and set up the current rectory here.