Story Post 5

Jes Jacobsen’s Hotel

Here on the parking lot of Coop 365 was for many years one of the city’s most frequently used meeting places, still best remembered as Jes Jacobsen’s Hotel. The place was owned by the Jacobsen family for almost 100 years from 1895 to 1989. After that, the inn was run by various tenants and owners until it was demolished in 2004 to make room for Fakta. During the Jacobsens’ time, family parties, ring rider balls, revue performances, and political meetings were held in the premises, which were also the city’s polling place for municipal and parliamentary elections. In the extensions at the hotel, two of the owners ran a saddlery workshop, there was a permanent stay for the city’s horse-drawn hearse, and Broager’s first cooperative freezer was also established here before a new one was built on Vestergade.

Storegade 18

A look up Storegade. The large building on the left has previously housed drapers.

First, it was a branch of the large Sønderborg company Bossen & Bock. Then came a long series of years with Chr. Hansen. The last clothing store here was Gunnar Gottschalk. After that, the store was divided into two, which have been rented out for various tasks.

Picture of the same street section in 1907. Note that the pharmacy has not yet been built.

Storegade 18 (Pharmacy)

The building here at Storegade 21 was constructed in 1922 as a pharmacy.
This followed a long struggle with the authorities to establish a pharmacy in Broager. Success finally came in 1912 with the opening of a pharmacy in rented premises.
In 1921, Johannes Ousen was granted the right to operate a pharmacy in Broager. He built the new pharmacy on Storegade in 1922.

The pharmacy moved out of Storegade 21 at the end of the 1980s, and since then, the building has served as a private residence with three apartments.

The building gained national recognition between 1983 and 1985, when TV-Syd filmed the crime drama The Pharmacist of Broager, directed by Esben Høilund Carlsen, who grew up in Broager.

Ihle

The plot here, where the pizzeria is now located, was once a small park.
In 1930, Valdemar Ihle purchased the land. He intended to build a printing house with space for a family residence.
However, he was not permitted to place the building further back on the plot and had to construct it where it stands today.
When Storegade was sewered in the 1940s, the facade suffered such severe damage that it later became necessary to underpin the outer walls.

But a printing house was indeed established. Valdemar Ihle ran it until 1962, when his daughter and son-in-law, Helga and Frede Simonsen, took over.
They also operated a bookbinding business and later a stationery shop. In addition, they published the weekly newspaper “Broue Tidende” for several years.
Everything was taken over by the next generation in the 1990s, but times had changed, and small specialty shops and printing houses were no longer viable.
As a result, the shop closed in 2010 and the printing house in 2020.

Bank

The savings bank was founded in Broager in 1845 and was the third of its kind in Southern Jutland.
From the beginning, it served as both a savings and loan institution. In its early decades, the bank operated out of private residences, where customers were received on Sundays — first across from the post office for 20 years, and later on Allegade, where the first “directors” also lived.

Over time, the savings bank gained many customers and generated profits, allowing it to construct its own building — adorned with hardworking bees as gable decorations.
A small property was purchased, the old house was demolished, and the plot was reduced by selling off land (including the area where the 365 store is now located). Master builder Horn was commissioned to design the building according to the board’s wishes.

The building was arranged in the style of customer service at the time: with a large waiting room/anteroom where visitors sat until they were called in turn to the service counters. On the first floor, there was an apartment for the director.

In 1969, the bank moved across the street and sold the building with the condition that the facade must not be altered.