Story Post 8

Chapel

Built in 1654 as a bell tower to carry the church’s three bells, which had to be removed from the insufficiently sturdy church tower.

The church tower was later reinforced in 1804 and 1880, and in 1904 the bells were moved back to their original position.

During the war of 1864, the Prussians used the rectory and the church as a field hospital, and the bell tower as an operating room.

With a ground plan measuring 7 by 7 metres, it is the largest free-standing bell tower in the country.

The original timber framework has been preserved.

After a restoration in 1976, the bell tower is now used as a chapel.